Friday, November 26, 2010

And party every day

With Thanksgiving officially over and my vaguely threatening proposals to officially declare December 2nd to be "You’reWelcomesgiving" still garnering cease and desist letters from the secret service, you celebratory folks may be finding yourself sinking yet again into that deep depression that comes with the knowledge that Christmas is still a month away. Well, since it’s one of my life goals to make each and every day a celebration, we’ve decided to officially declare the next few days “Reveal Obscure Holidays Week!” Basically, we’ll give you all reasons to party like it’s 1945, and then at the end David and I will both post more writing, since that’s technically the point here.

And away we go.

November 28th: Red Planet Day

What it is: Red Planet Day honors our favorite impending alien invasion threat: Mars! According to the first google result I got for "obscure holidays," November 28, 1964 marks the launch of the Spacecraft Mariner 4, which, from what I can tell, got really close to mars but didn't actually go there. I think we can all sleep easier knowing that the 1964 versions of ourselves were perfectly capable of taking pictures of the Martian surface, a fact which undoubtedly led to the end of the cold war. Take that, John Lennon. (Note: No, I'm not mistaken.)

Ways to celebrate: In addition to that massive, red-themed party you've started planning by now, there are plenty of other, more subtle ways you can honor the 4th rock from Neptune (see what I did there?) If you have a friend named Mark, Maria, Mary, Marvin, Marizuccio, or Marge, call them Mars for the entire day! Make a hilarious knowledge-withholding game out of refusing to tell them why their name has inexplicably changed. Get your friends involved! Break into Federal records and legally change their name to Mars! There is NO BOUNDARY at which this joke will stop being funny.

Seriously. This is war.

No comments:

Post a Comment