Sunday, November 7, 2010

That's what's up

Sometimes I write.

For a while I tried sending out the writing to whatever artsily-named, obscure magazine that popped up on duotrope’s search engine when I checked “electronic submissions,” because I really freaking hate sealing envelopes. That didn’t work though, because I also really freaking hate rejection letters. Everybody’s always saying you’ve got to get somewhere around 600,000 rejection letters before you get published, and I get it. It’s not about being the next Hemmingway for me right now, because I’m 19 and I haven’t grown a grizzly beard. Give me ten years and a dead-end job and I’ll probably feel otherwise, but right about now its just about getting people reading.

They say you’ve got to write for yourself and it’s plenty satisfying, but lately I just haven’t been satisfied with everything I write collecting dust on the hard drive of a beaten-up macbook. When it comes down to it, finishing a story isn’t half as satisfying when you’ve got no idea what to do with it next. You can’t read it because, hell, you already know what’s going to happen and how it’s going to work out. It’s like watching Fight Club after you’ve already decided you didn’t have time to watch the movie and read the summary off Wikipedia.

That’s why this blog exists.

Sitting in Dillard Suite 113, I texted David saying I had a proposal. He asked if it involved Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock, because he’s a smartass, and I told him it didn’t, but it involved a blog. I ended up watching The Proposal the night after that, but it didn’t involve any blogs. I’m not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but I really hope you’re not here to read about The Proposal, because that wouldn’t make a lick of sense.

What does make at least a couple of licks worth of sense is that what we’ve got here is the home of David and I and whoever else may pop up laters’ various writings, various rantings, and various whatever else seems like a good idea at the time. Stop by, read our stuff, and leave a comment if you feel like it. I promise it’s good.

It's also copyrighted by the authors, if you're wondering.

4 comments:

  1. i dunno why it has my first name and my middle name, but its wil van winkle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited. If you guys ever need a guest-collaborator, hit me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep writing! this is great.

    ReplyDelete